The Legend of Wooley Swamp

What ever happened to nuance? Jabberwocky is being spewed up by the left and right as they try to drag us into their Wonderlands. This blog charts a path out of this swamp of simple truths and false certainties. And from time to time, it'll be a place for more light-hearted musings.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Palms - L.A, California

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Succinct in 160 characters or less

As many have no doubt noticed, the Swamp loves (ab)using the unlimited space in the blogosphere. But here's a short tale of how even yours truly can keep it clean n' simple.

After coming back from a run yesterday, I flipped on the BBC World Service and they were discussing racism in Germany ahead of the upcoming World Cup. It seems that activists want to put out a map for Berlin and other cities, indicating which areas are unsafe for foreign visitors. The organizers are not happy - worrying about bad PR etc. I mean, really....what comes first? Safety or some glossy postcard Wonderland reality?

What can I say? Well, as I was cooling down, I sent an SMS/text message to the all-purpose BBC World Service number +44 7786 206080:
"There is major denial re: minorites and immigration here. Try being accepted as a non-white here. At best you'll be exotic or (at worst) a victim."
Read other, far wiser, comments from the program here
Text messages - at least on my ancient DJ Kai Sony phone - can be a maximum of 160 characters, this one was around 145.

I sent it 5 minutes before the program ended and what do you know: the presenter read it out to round off the show. (listen here, right sidebar, Tuesday program, last 15-30 minutes)

Would I advise any one I know and care about to go to the areas concerned? No! Do I go there? No! Would I advise them to come check out the World Cup? Yes! Is Germany generally safe? Yes!

More on the events that caused the BBC to take up this subject soon.

jo

Subjects: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

1 Comments:

Blogger Bicyclemark said...

Happy Birthday sir.

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Technorati blog directory